Subscribe / Follow Me

28 October 2010

Book Review: Awakened

Awakened (The Guardian Legacy #1)Awakened by Ednah Walters

Publication Date: 2 September 2010.

I received a finished copy of this book from Star Book Tours.


Description
Most teens turn sixteen and get the license to drive, Lil Falcon gets the license to kill demons, but no one told her she is not supposed to fall in love with one.

Orphaned as a child and raised by an eccentric grandfather, Lil is concerned with surviving high school and is unaware she's a Guardian—a being with super powers charged with killing demons and protecting humanity. But when she meets Bran, a mysterious boy with amazing abilities, his psi energy unlocks her latent powers.

But Bran has a secret that can destroy their growing relationship. He's part demon. But in her heart, Lil knows Bran is not evil. So when her grandfather is kidnapped by a powerful nature-bender and Bran is the only one who knows where he's being kept, Lil convinces the other Guardians to trust him, not knowing her grandfather is just the bait. And the truth that she discovers in the demonic enclave may just destroy everything she believes in, unless she makes the right choice—love and sacrifice.


My Review
Awakened is a unique take on the story of Nephilim, the descendants of angels and their human mates.

Loved: The character Sykes. I loved his personality and flirtatious nature with Lil. In the beginning, I thought he came off as a little too forward with Lil, but as the story progressed, I liked the comparison of his relationship with Lil and Bran and Lil's relationship. Despite his teasing and flirting, it was obvious that Lil really had a connection with Bran. I loved how Walters developed this distinction and avoided the typical triangle of girl caught between two boys.

Liked: Lil's personality. Lil is a great character in this book. She is compassionate and willing to do anything for those she cares about, without minding the consequences. I liked how Walters developed Lil's character in Awakened. She starts off as being a somewhat naive, somewhat lonely girl, who has no idea of the powers she possesses. As the story continues, readers can see how Lil adjusts to difficult and dangerous situations. She shows her strength and her willingness to help others. Despite knowing very little about Bran (at the start of the story), she wants to help him and prove that he is the good person she believes him to be. I liked how Walters wrote Lil as someone who tried to see the good in most situations.

Disliked: I thought Bran could have had more character development. While readers did learn his "story" and why he was seeking the help of the Guardians, as a reader, I didn't feel any connection to him. He was the boy Lil liked and the brother of a bad guy, but that's it. Since this is the start of a series, I'm hoping that Bran become more developed in the next book.

Overall: I liked Awakened and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I enjoyed the "ensemble cast" nature of the book. While Lil is definitely the main character, I liked how Walters created the rest of the young Guardians with their own well developed characters and personalities. I also liked the unique take on Nephilim and the contrast of good and evil described in Awakened.


My Rating: 4 stars

Description and picture courtesy of Goodreads.


Awakened Book Trailer

5 comments:

Shell said...

I don't know why, but I couldn't get into this book. I kept seeing awesome reviews of it and I wondered why? Also, I agree with you over Bran, he needed some definite character development.

oreo_93AThotmailDOTcom

Read for your future! said...

I got this book in a contest with a tshirt and an ink pen. I havent had time to read it. But it looks and sounds really good
chaarmedone1512@aol.com

latishajean said...

I like your review I want to read this book so bad! I heard great things about it! I have a very big to read list :)

Aleetha said...

nice review. I am curious about this book. I'd love have one

what do you think about the cover?

Martha Eskuchen said...

I was curious about this book so glad to see your review. Thanks.

Post a Comment

Copyright by Jenna Hill (JL: An Avid Reader's Musings). Powered by Blogger.

Design Credits

Blog designed by
Custom Blog Designs
using stock images by Darja Tokranova, Frenta, Pichayasri, and Kamigami. Pupcat font by Typodermic Fonts.
 

Copyright by Jenna Hill (JL: An Avid Reader's Musings)